Health Benefits and Nutrition Facts of Tomatoes

Health Benefits and Nutrition Facts of Tomatoes

Tomatoes are pulpy nutritious vegetables grabbed by millions of health seekers, thanks to its amazing health-benefiting compounds. Find out Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits of including Tomatoes in daily diet.

Nutritional Facts of Tomatoes

A half-sized cup of (90gms) sliced Tomatoes contains 15 calories no fat content. They contain 95% of water content and the rest 5% consist mainly carbohydrates and fiber.

Tomatoes are rich in Vitamin A, C, Potassium, Vitamin K1 and Folate B9. They are good sources of several vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.

These vibrant red-colored tomatoes also contain plant compounds including Lycopene, beta-carotene, naringenin and chlorogenic acid.

Health Benefits of Tomatoes

Eating Tomatoes in daily diet in any form has been associated with several health benefits including cancer prevention, heart-diseases and skin health.

1. Tomatoes for Heart Health

Low blood levels of lycopene and beta-carotene are associated with increased risks of heart attacks and strokes. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene and beta-carotene and they fight against inflammation and oxidative stress. They also show a positive effect on the inner layer of our blood vessels, lowers blood clotting risks and help lower LDL cholesterol and contributes to heart-health.

2. Tomatoes as Anti-Cancer foods

Tomatoes and lycopene were linked to reduced risk of prostate, lung, stomach, pancreas, colon and rectum, esophagus, oral cavity, breast and cervix cancers. A research study has found that with the highest levels of lycopene were 21 percent less likely to develop prostate cancer than compared to those who had lesser levels of lycopene. The alpha-tomatine, a saponin phytonutrient in tomatoes aids in the death of prostate cancer cells.

3. Tomatoes for Bone Health

Lycopene in Tomatoes promotes bone health and aids in preventing osteoporosis development. A research study published in the Journal of Bone and Mineral Research found that people who had high lycopene levels were less likely to develop hip or nonvertebral fracture.

4. Tomatoes for Improved Vision

Tomatoes are rich in both vitamin A and beta-carotene, both contributing to the improved vision. Vitamin A helps to keep the retina working correctly and for low-light and color vision.

5. Tomatoes for Healthy Skin

Vitamin C, A foods are good for your skin, and including tomatoes in your daily diet benefits you in collagen production, wound healing and encouraging healthy looking skin. Retinoids in Vitamin A are known for anti-aging skin treatment, while Beta-carotene protects against sunburns

6. Other Health Benefits of Tomatoes

Tomatoes protect against cognitive decline, help asthma sufferers and reduce lung inflammation. Tomatoes help move nutrients into cells and waste products out of cells.

Risks and Precautions of Eating Tomatoes

Tomatoes can cause allergies among those who are allergic to grass pollen, and this condition is referred as pollen-food allergy syndrome or oral-allergy syndrome.

Individuals with latex allergy can also experience cross-reactivity to tomatoes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Disclaimer* results may vary from person to person