Iodine is an essential mineral required for the production of thyroid hormones that regulate growth and metabolism. Add these Top 10 Iodine Rich Foods to your diet to prevent the dangerous deficiency that may lead to hypothyroidism, goiter, auto-immune diseases and increased risk of retarded brain development in children.
Iodine Deficiency Symptoms
- Constant Fatigue
- High Cholesterol
- Poor Memory and Difficulty concentrating
- Unusual weight gain
- Swelling of the thyroid gland
- Rapid heart beat
- Appetite fluctuations
Here’s the list of Iodine Rich Foods. The RDA for iodine is 150 mcg/day, and the Daily Value is 150 mcg/day. On the flip side, excess Iodine can lead to goiter on the thyroid.
|3 Ounces Cod Fish||99μg (66% DV)|
|1gm Iodized Salt (Fortified)||77μg (51% DV)|
|1 Baked Potato||60μg (40% DV)|
|1 Cup Milk||56μg (37% DV)|
|3 Ounces Shrimp||35μg (23% DV)|
|2 Fish Sticks||35μg (23% DV)|
|3 Ounces Baked Turkey||34μg (23% DV)|
|Half cup Beans||32μg (21% DV)|
|3 Ounces Tuna canned oil||17μg (11% DV)|
|1 Boiled Egg||12μg (8% DV)|
Health Benefits of Iodine
1. Iodine deficiency leads to dry, flaky skin, and it also results in a dry mouth and lack of saliva. Adequate levels of Iodine aids in release of toxins and maintain proper body temperature.
2. Lack of Iodine in body is also the major reason behind the cause of Goiter. Iron rich foods such as add eggs, salt, sea food, and dairy products can treat the enlarged thyroid gland.
3. Thyroid glands cannot function without iodine, and lack of it makes your body unable to regulate metabolism, heart function, temperature, reproduction, and growth.
4. Iodine plays vital role in maintaining optimal energy levels of the body, and ensures efficient utilization of calories without storing excess fat in the body.
5. Iodine helps in the formation of healthy and shiny skin, teeth and speeds up hair growth and enhances follicle strength. Lack of Iodine usually results in hair loss.
6. Pregnant women require good levels of Iodine to prevent stillbirths or neurocognitive conditions like cretinism in newborns. Iodine helps in proper movement and growth, along with speech and hearing abilities in babies.
7. While the condition of Hypothyroidism is caused due to many reasons, lack of Iodine can also be one of reasons. Add foods rich in Iodine to diet to stimulate the hormonal activity that will help you lose the weight and body fat which are symptoms of Hypothyroidism.
These Iodine Rich Foods help you reach the daily intake number, and overcome the Iodine deficiency symptoms. For more Health and wellness articles, stay glued to this space on Nutrihealthline.com